Notes from Dr Brene Brown’s TEDx talk on Wholeheartedness
Connection. Connection is why we are here and it gives purpose in our lives. What makes a person that feels happy and loved different than a person that feels ashamed and lacking love and acceptance?
- Shame, the fear of disconnection, unravels connection.
- the people that have a strong sense of love and belonging believe they are worthy of love and belonging.
- Vulnerability is the core of shame, fear, and our struggle for worthiness.
- Vulnerability is the birthplace for joy, creativity, belonging and love.
- We numb vulnerability
We are the most in debt, obese, addicted, and medicated adult cohort in history
- You can’t selectively numb emotion.
- When we numb the unwanted emotions, we also numb all our other joyful emotions.
- There’s no discourse in politics any more, just blame.
- We pretend that what we do doesn’t have an effect on other people.
- Think about why and how we numb our emotions.
- Everything we do has an impact on others.
- Let yourself be deeply seen
- Love with your whole heart even though there is no guarantee
- Practice gratitude and joy
- Don’t focus on the bad that might happen, be grateful
- Believe that we are enough
- Stop screaming and start listening
Our favorite videos http://family.michaelgrace.org/search/label/favorite%20videos